Menu for the Week of January 19, 2015 – A Lesson on Dry-Aging!
We interrupt this football season to bring you an important message. Ever wonder what all the hub-bub about dry-aging is about? Or just what dry-aging even does for the beef you buy from us? Well, it’s learnin’ time.
Dry aging is a process by which beef is hung in a controlled environment to allow the protein in the meat to naturally break down. The natural enzymes already inside the beef will start to break down the protein of the muscles almost immediately after the cow is processed. By taking excess moisture out of the equation, we allow these enzymes to do their work without the interference of nasty mold and bacteria. Allowing these proteins to lose moisture and break down accomplishes a few things, primarily enhancing the natural flavor of the beef, and also creating a more tender meat.
At The Spotted Trotter, we tend to age our beef at different levels, depending on the cut of meat. Smaller pieces, such as the rib eye and strip loins, are aged from anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks, while larger pieces (like the Brasstown Beef round and chuck quarters that can be seen hanging at Krog Street) are aged for as long as 45-55 days. The end result being a much more robust and deeper beef flavor that blows away any of that grocery store meat.
Most major grocery store chains do not bother to age their meat. It takes time and space, something that supermarkets do not have in spades. While we do not have a sprawling facility, we find the room and find the time to ensure that we are putting the best beef on your plate. Stop by and get a steak to take home, or even try the dry-aged beef found at the Cockentrice, and learn that older is better!
Additionally, it is not too late to start putting in special orders for the Super Bowl if you’re planning to have a large party. If you have a special cut of meat you’re looking for, or if you want us to prepare a beautiful charcuterie board that will wow your friends, start putting in your orders now at http://thespottedtrotter.com/preorders/.
- Sweet Hot Italian
- Mexican Chorizo
- Cherry & Pork
- Chicken, Pear, and Goat Cheese
- Lamb Merguez
- Bacon Cheeseburger
Primal Cuts / Prepared Items
- These items are available only at the retail shop! Custom cuts available at Krog St.!!
- Hanger Steaks (Brasstown)
- Dry Aged Ribeyes
- Dry Aged New York Strip Steak
- Center Cut Pork Chops
- Pork Shoulder
- Quail (Manchester Farms)
- Whole Rabbits (Rabbit Man Farms)
- Whole Chickens (White Oak Pastures)
- Creole Smoked Whole Chickens
- Corned Beef
- Magret Moulard Duck Breasts (Hudson Valley)
- Burger Blend
- Leaf Lard – (Perfect for making biscuits!)
- Chicken Liver with Arkansas Black Apple & Ginger Aspic
- Rabbit Liver with Spicy Mayhaw Aspic
- Duck Liver Pate with Wild Cherry and Clementine
- Pork Rillettes with Herb Butter
- Pate Campagne
Whole Muscle or Cured
- Prosciutto (10 month & 12 month)
- Smoked Guanciale
- Pancetta (Calabrian Chili)
- Pancetta w/ Three Herbs
- Duck Prosciutto
- Burgundy Beef
- Spanish Chorizo
- Hunter Salami
- Fegatelli Snack Sticks
- Petit Sec Snack Sticks
- Black Pepper Sorghum
- Rosette de Lyon
- Saucisson a L’ail
- Salami Cotto
- Hot Dogs
- All Beef
- Pork & Beef
- Veal Bologna
- Bacon Ends- perfect for Salads, Soups, and Sautes!
- “The Original” — Sorghum and Cracked Black Pepper
- Tasso Ham
- Paris Ham
- Femur Cut Marrow Bones
- Bacon Butter –NEW!!
- Smoked Pig Parts
- Duck Fat
- Stocks, Oxtails, and Trotters, Oh My! – (you never know what we have in stock…)
- White Oak Pastures Eggs
- Sweet Southern
- Peppered Umami
- Dancing Fern (Sequatchie Cove)
- Nickeljack (Sequatchie Cove)
- Waypoint (Caly Road Creamery)
- Big Bloomy (Caly Road Creamery)
- Red Top (Caly Road Creamery)
- Assorted baguettes, pretzel bread, and hot dog buns from H&F Bread Co.
- Beautiful Briny Sea Assorted Sea Salts (Atlanta, GA)
- TAZA Stone Ground Assorted Chocolates (Somerville, MA)
- Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Foods Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce (Kentucky)
- Earth Biscuit Foods Crackers (Atlanta, GA)
- Sfoglini Pasta (Brooklyn, New York) – BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!!
- Edmond Fallot Grain Mustard (Dijon, France) – NEW!!
- Traditional Raspberry or Citrus Candies (Provence, France)
- Huile d’Olive Papillon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (France) – NEW!!
- Vinaigre Balsamique – Italie
- TRU Bee Honey (Franklin, TN)
- Verdant Kitchen Crystallized Ginger and Ginger Ale (Savannah, GA) – NEW!!
- Carolina Plantation Rice and Grits (Darlington, SC) – NEW!!
- Bang Bang Candy Company Simple Syrups (Nashville, TN) – NEW!!
- Frali Gourmet Pastas (Savannah, GA)
- McClary Bros. Scrub Sodas (Detroit, MI) – NEW!!
- Hughes Farm Sorghum Syrup (Young Harris, GA) – NEW!!
- Georgia Olive Farms Olive Oil (Lakeland, GA) – NEW!!
- Rancho Gordo Beans
- Yellow Eye
- Ayocote Blanco
- The Spotted Trotter Artisan T-Shirts (3 styles)
- Reusable The Spotted Trotter Grocery Bags (only $3 each!)
- Meat Bucks (Gift Certificates!)
- MEATPAPER Quarterly Periodical
- Culture Magazine
- Assorted On-Topic Hardcover Books (miscellaneous authors)