Menu for the Week of January 13, 2014 — Will You Help Us in the Fed Ex Small Business Contest!?
HEY YOU GUYS,
In the interest of full disclosure, the people writing this post (Megan and Kevin) very rarely respond to the requests to “re-post this if we were friends in 4th grade,” or “forward this to 10 friends if you don’t want to have bad luck for the next 19 years,” or “take this quiz so I’ll know what your favorite color is.” So, why would we have the audacity to ask you to do this very thing for us?
Well, simply put, because we could really use the help. For those of you who have followed our story from the beginning, you probably already know that we started The Spotted Trotter with our personal savings and then proceeded to pump our own money in to the business every single month until November 2012. Some of you also know that Kevin still hasn’t taken a salary and doesn’t plan to do so until The Cockentrice opens later this year. You may also know that we don’t come from family money and although our family and friends have graciously worked a farmer’s market or 10 for the beautiful promise of free meat over the past 3 years, we don’t have any “family & friends” investors. In fact, speaking of investors, we don’t have any of those either. Instead, Kevin and I made a pact early on that we would get our money from banks and try to climb the crazy expensive and cutthroat ladder that is the Food Business together, but alone, or not at all. What that meant, at least in 2013, was going through about 10 bank rejections over the course of 7 months (which always came with an annoying, “Have you considered taking on an investor?” or “Maybe you have some family that would consider putting up the collateral?”), before we were lucky enough to find Invest Atlanta and a group of amazing bankers at Fidelity who believed in us and the vision of Krog Street Market enough to give us a “Yes.” Fidelity was actually our final ask before we had agreed to throw in the towel on the expansion. Funny how life often lets you out on a line just far enough to still be able to reel you back in for another day of fishing with a promise of smoother seas ahead.
Today, we are full steam ahead towards opening our second location of The Spotted Trotter and its restaurant sibling The Cockentrice at Krog Street Market this Summer. Not suprisingly, however, it looks like every dollar we were able to scrape together from our bank loans isn’t going to go as far as we had hoped. So, with all of that whining for your consideration — Can you help us win a $25,000 grant from Fed Ex or what? All you need to do is click the following link and vote for us.
If you could also not be total jerks like we described ourselves as above and forward this on to anyone and everyone you know and ask them to vote, we would greatly appreciate it. Finally, if you’re not feeling too altruistic today and you need a reason as to why to vote that directly improves your life, let us provide you with this food for thought: the better butcher shop and restaurant we can put together, the better your dinner will be. Period.
Thanks for all of your continued support — Voting is open from January 16th through February 23rd and you can vote once per day! And seriously, don’t be the reason we have to carve your steaks with a butter knife because we couldn’t afford that band saw. Everyone will know it was you.
Stay Hungry, Atlanta (and beyond!) (because we know you live in Alaska, have never heard of us, but your totally awesome friend who lives in Atlanta forwarded this to you….).
- English Breakfast
- Chicken Currywurst
- Lamb Merguez
- Sweet Hot Italian
- Spanish Salchichon
- Rise up Chicken Red Hot
Primal Cuts / Prepared Items
- These items are available only at the retail shop!
- Dry-Aged Ribeyes (Brasstown and Meyer)
- NY Strip (Brasstown)
- Hanger Steaks (Brasstown)
- Center Cut Pork Chops (Brasstown)
- Quail (Manchester Farms)
- Whole Rabbits (Rabbit Man Farms)
- Creole Smoked Whole Chickens
- Magret Moulard Duck Breasts (Hudson Valley)
- Gullah Ham
- Leaf Lard – (Perfect for making biscuits!)
- Chicken Liver with Arkansas Black Apple & Ginger Aspic
- Rabbit Liver with Spicy Mayhaw Aspic
- Duck Liver Pate with Wild Cherry and Clementine
- Pork Rillettes with Herb Butter
Whole Muscle or Cured
- Prosciutto (10 month & 12 month)
- Smoked Guanciale
- Pancetta (Calabrian Chili)
- Pancetta w/ Three Herbs
- Duck Prosciutto
- Beef Burgundy
- Winter Greens with Pork
- Spanish Chorizo
- Hunter Salami
- Fegatelli Snack Sticks
- Petit Sec Snack Sticks
- Black Pepper Sorghum
- Rosette de Lyon
- Saucisson a L’ail
- Lamb Xuong
- Salami Cotto
- Duck Salami with Pine Nuts
- Hot Dogs
- All Beef
- Pork & Beef
- Veal Bologna
- Gullah Hams
- “The Original” — Sorghum and Cracked Black Pepper
- Bacon and Roasted Mushroom
- Pork Belly Wrapped Fig with Pistachio
- High Road Craft Ice Cream “Frozen Trotter” Pints
- Femur Cut Marrow Bones
- Duck Fat
- Stocks, Ox Tails, and Trotters, Oh My! – (you never know what we have in stock…)
- Sweet Southern
- Peppered Umami
- Stackhouse (Spinning Spider)
- Fortsonia (Nature’s Harmony) (Limited Run)
- Ardi Gasna (Pyrenees Mountains)
- Bayley Hazen Blue (Jasper Hill Farm)
- Big Bloomy (Caly Rd.)
- Georgia Gold (Nature’s Harmony)
- Hunkadora (Prodigal Farm)
- Rocky Battle Blue (Sequatchie Cove)
- Cumberland (Sequatchie Cove)
- Dancing Fern (Sequatchie Cove)
- Bloomsbury (Caramont Farm)
- Assorted baguettes, pretzel bread, and hot dog buns from H&F Bakery
- The Spotted Trotter Citron Curd – New Retail Item!
- The Spotted Trotter Persimmon and Apple Butter – New Retail Item!
- Beautiful Briny Sea Assorted Sea Salts (Atlanta, GA) – New Retail Item!
- TAZA Stone Ground Assorted Chocolates (Somerville, MA) – New Retail Item!
- Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Foods Soy Sauce (Kentucky) – New Retail Item!
- Roots & Branches Assorted Crackers (Asheville, NC) – New Retail Item!
- TRU Bee Honey (Franklin, TN)
- Rancho Gordo Beans
- Yellow Eye
- Good Mother Stallard
- Goat Eye
- The Spotted Trotter Artisan T-Shirts (3 styles) — New “Day of the Dead Pig” Design in Store!
- Reusable The Spotted Trotter Grocery Bags (only $3 each!)
- Meat Bucks (Gift Certificates!)
- MEATPAPER Quarterly Periodical
- Flavors Magazine
- Brother Magazine – New Retail Item!
- Assorted On-Topic Hardcover Books (miscellaneous authors)
- Bacon-Themed Accoutrements (assorted)