Menu for the Week of February 23, 2015 – What Exactly Is Boston Butt?
Otherwise known as the pork shoulder, the Boston Butt is a standard of bbq’ers and chefs alike. Do you ever wonder why it is sometimes called a “Boston Butt”? It can be confusing sometimes when going to your local store, or even better, local butcher shop (a’hem), with a recipe in hand that calls for Boston butt, and when you get there, you only see signs that say pork shoulder, or vice versa. Let us clear some of this up for you. Boston butt and pork shoulder are the same cut of the pig, sometimes even referred to as paleta, or pork hand, depending on where you come from. The term Boston butt comes from Revolutionary-era America. Cheaper cuts (cuts that weren’t loin or ham) were often packed into large wooden cask barrels, known as butts. A large portion of meat processing then was occurring in the Boston area, with its own unique way of processing out these cheaper cuts. Therefore, a barrel full of pork shoulder originating from Boston caused the cut to become known to the public as a “Boston Butt”. Fascinating!
Whatever you call it, it’s good eats, and no matter what the weather, the butt is probably the most versatile cut on the pig, creating memorable stews to killer bbq pork. It’s certainly come a long way from being known as one of the “cheaper cuts” that people didn’t know what to do with! If you haven’t had one of Lou’s hand butchered Boster Butts, then you need to come in to The Spotted Trotter at Krog St. Market and get one now!
As a reminder our hours have changed for both retail shops:
11 AM – 7 PM Monday through Friday
10 AM – 7 PM on Saturdays
11 AM – 6 PM on Sundays!
- Sweet Hot Italian
- Mexican Chorizo
- Cherry & Pork
- Duck Toulouse
- Chicken, Pear, and Chevere
- Rise Up
- Bacon Cheeseburger
Primal Cuts / Prepared Items
- These items are available only at the retail shop! Custom cuts available at Krog St.!!
- Hanger Steaks (Brasstown)
- Dry Aged Ribeyes
- Dry Aged New York Strip Steak
- Center Cut Pork Chops
- Pork Shoulder
- Whole Rabbits
- Quail (Manchester Farms)
- Whole Chickens (White Oak Pastures)
- Creole Smoked Whole Chickens
- Corned Beef
- D’Artagnan Duck Breasts (Hudson Valley)
- Burger Blend
- Leaf Lard – (Perfect for making biscuits!)
- Chicken Liver with Arkansas Black Apple & Ginger Aspic
- Rabbit Liver with Spicy Mayhaw Aspic
- Duck Liver Pate with Wild Cherry and Clementine
- Pork Rillettes with Herb Butter
- Pate Campagne
Whole Muscle or Cured
- Prosciutto (10 month & 12 month)
- Smoked Guanciale
- Pancetta (Calabrian Chili)
- Pancetta w/ Three Herbs
- Duck Prosciutto
- Lamb and Feta
- Spanish Chorizo
- Fegatelli Snack Sticks
- Petit Sec Snack Sticks
- Black Pepper Sorghum
- Rosette de Lyon
- Saucisson a L’ail
- Salami Cotto
- Hot Dogs
- All Beef
- Pork & Beef
- Veal Bologna
- Bacon Ends- perfect for Salads, Soups, and Sautes!
- “The Original” — Sorghum and Cracked Black Pepper
- Tasso Ham
- Paris Ham
- Femur Cut Marrow Bones
- Bacon Butter –NEW!!
- Smoked Pig Parts
- Duck Fat
- Stocks, Oxtails, and Trotters, Oh My! – (you never know what we have in stock…)
- Many Fold Farm Eggs
- Sweet Southern
- Peppered Umami
- Dancing Fern (Sequatchie Cove)
- Nickeljack (Sequatchie Cove)
- Waypoint (Caly Road Creamery)
- Big Bloomy (Caly Road Creamery)
- Red Top (Caly Road Creamery)
- Assorted baguettes, pretzel bread, and hot dog buns from H&F Bread Co.
- Beautiful Briny Sea Assorted Sea Salts (Atlanta, GA)
- TAZA Stone Ground Assorted Chocolates (Somerville, MA)
- Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Foods Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce (Kentucky)
- Earth Biscuit Foods Crackers (Atlanta, GA)
- Sfoglini Pasta (Brooklyn, New York) – BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!!
- Edmond Fallot Grain Mustard (Dijon, France) – NEW!!
- Traditional Raspberry or Citrus Candies (Provence, France)
- Huile d’Olive Papillon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (France) – NEW!!
- Vinaigre Balsamique – Italie
- TRU Bee Honey (Franklin, TN)
- Verdant Kitchen Bare Ginger, Crystallized Ginger and Ginger Ale (Savannah, GA) – NEW!!
- Carolina Plantation Rice and Grits (Darlington, SC) – NEW!!
- Bang Bang Candy Company Simple Syrups (Nashville, TN) – NEW!!
- McClary Bros. Scrub Sodas (Detroit, MI) – NEW!!
- Hughes Farm Sorghum Syrup (Young Harris, GA) – NEW!!
- Georgia Olive Farms Olive Oil (Lakeland, GA) – NEW!!
- Cacao Atlanta Salame Di Cioccolato (Atlanta, GA) – NEW!!
- Rancho Gordo Beans
- Yellow Eye
- Ayocote Blanco
- The Spotted Trotter Artisan T-Shirts (3 styles)
- Reusable The Spotted Trotter Grocery Bags (only $3 each!)
- Meat Bucks (Gift Certificates!)
- MEATPAPER Quarterly Periodical
- Culture Magazine
- Assorted On-Topic Hardcover Books (miscellaneous authors)