Charred Red Torpedo Onion Jam
If you stopped by The Spotted Trotter’s tent at the Peachtree Road Farmer’s Market on Saturday, June 26th, you might have sampled the lamb crepinettes with Charred Red Torpedo Onion Jam. If you loved it, wow your friends at home.
5 large, sliced Red Torpedo onions or 2 large Red onions
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
8 Tbsp Butter
Zest from 1 Orange
Juice from Orange
5 Szechuan Peppercorns
¼ tsp Cardamom
2 Whole All Spice
½ Cinnamon Stick
Salt, to taste
- Start by browning your butter and toasting all spices in the butter (do not burn).
- Add your sliced onions and caramelize to very dark, almost burnt.
- Remove from heat and let the onions cool, taste the onions for charred flavor. It is good to have some charred flavor, but not be completely bitter. If you over-char them, lightly rinse with cool water in a colander to remove any excess char (should have some char). Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauté pan, add your vinegar and sugar and reduce by a ¼ . Consistency should be that of a gastrique or light syrup, a nape consistency.
- Now add your onions and orange juice and reduce the liquid by half.
- Finish with orange zest and lay on a sheet pan and cool.
- Can be served warm or room temp.
Best served on The Spotted Trotter’s lamb crepinettes, but you can use it on other game meats as well. Pair with your favorite dry, red wine.